04 March 2014

Sold MIND CTI. Purchased Dreamworks Animation

On Monday March 3rd I sold my 2225 shares of MIND C.T.I. Ltd.(NASDAQ:MNDO) and used the cash to purchase 166 shares of Dreamworks Animation Skg Inc (NASDAQ: DWA).

With the benefit of hindsight I know now that I should have sold MNDO today instead of early yesterday.  I might have been able to get $2.30 per share instead of the $2.19 that I ended up taking.  For that matter, it turns out that if I had purchased DWA later in the day yesterday then I could have purchased my shares for as little as $28.50 each instead of $29.135.

In a best-case scenario, I could have purchased 179 shares of Dreamworks Animation instead of the 166 that I now own.

I'm not unhappy, though.  I wanted to sell my shares in MNDO at a decent price before they go ex-dividend at the end of trading on Friday, and I also wanted to purchase Dreamworks Animation before Mr. Peabody and Sherman premieres in movie theatres, also on Friday.  This I have done.

I made a 30% profit on MNDO, having purchased my shares for $1.67 each back in September.

I expect to make at least a 20% profit on Dreamworks Animation.  If Mr Peabody and Sherman fails to get boomers and their grandchildren in seats then I'll hold onto my stock through the release of How To Train Your Dragon 2 in June, or perhaps Kung Fu Panda 3 in 2015. 

Eventually I'll make a profit, but hopefully Peabody will do well enough that it's sooner rather than later.


No comments:

Post a Comment