29 February 2012

Missed it by THAT much

I think I missed an opportunity to sell a stock and make a profit.

Last week 3D Systems (DDD) shot up in price, briefly, to $25.77.  I tried to sell.  I did some math and lowered the price of the sell order I already had in place.  I brought my asking price per share down to $25.78, which would net me a 65% profit on the buying and selling of that particular stock, but it appears I should have gone lower.  3D Systems didn't reach $25.78, and it has been declining in price since then.  As of this writing it's less than $22.50 a share.  Looks like I missed an opportunity window.

I've bought, sold, and bought stock again in 3D Systems.  I've mentioned it in previous columns.  Let me recap in a different way, though, for the visual folks out there.





I'm not kicking myself too hard, though.  I tell myself that if 3D Systems went over $25 recently then it probably will again, someday, and then I'll sell, take my profits, and reinvest them when I get the chance.

The worst case scenario, moving forward, is that the price goes back down to $15 or $16 before coming back up over $25.  That would be a little difficult, emotionally, but if my IRA makes a nice profit at the end then I'll find a way to cope.

It's just as likely, though, that the recent upward price trend for 3D Systems will continue.  And if that happens then maybe $25.78 is too low an asking price.  Maybe I should put my asking price back to $31.20.  At that price I would make a 100% net profit, which seems like a nice goal to have.

Or maybe I should leave it at $25.78 and let it ride.

For now I seem to be letting it ride.  This has been my disclosure update, then.  It's official.  I hope to sell my 3D Systems stock in the near future, for $25.78.  I'll let you know if that changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment